Albeit an essential step in stemming the spread of Covid, lockdown has been no walk in the park. There are already a plethora of studies to confirm what we have observed in ourselves and those around us; (2) isolation and lockdown have affected every aspect of our general wellbeing. From our mental and physical health to our stress levels and our immune systems, it’s all had a knock-on effect and now is not the time to let our current circumstances get the better of us, lest they swallow us whole. There is hope and help but first, let’s help ourselves as best we can by educating and taking care of ourselves.
The (5) Daily Maverick has uncovered statistics from legitimate studies showing that every aspect of our mental health is at risk. We now know that since the beginning of the Covid-19 lockdown; 33% of South Africans are depressed, 60% are stressed, 45% are fearful, 26% are sad and 29% are lonely. Our benchmark on depression sits between 18% and 27% under normal circumstances. So, we may not be the happiest bunch to begin with, but the recent increase has been significant and it is cause for concern.
These seemingly simple emotions; anxiety, sadness and overall depression, bundled together (10) affect our ability to work, concentrate and very importantly fight off illness. If you already suffer from bouts of anxiety and depression, you know all too well the ramifications of letting things slip. This is why Sfera Bio Nutrition, has taken care to reference a handful of reputable sources and find out the best way to tackle the Covid-19 lockdown situation from a health and wellbeing perspective. This is what we found…
Dealing With Stress and Anxiety
You cannot deny the effects of financial concerns, even under usual circumstances. At a time like this however, our businesses are taking strain and we still have bills to pay. In his journal article, (6) psychiatrist Asian J recommends simple things such as acknowledging your anxiety, managing your workflow, if you are still working from home and making time for your hobbies.
In addition, Sfera recommend the following supplements as a natural aid to soothe your anxiety:
- Magnesium Complex – Containing Magnesium Malate and Orotate, this supplement supports the calming of nerves and aids sleep.
- Maca Noir - Black Maca is the strongest energy producing Maca of all varieties, it supports the alleviation of depression, anxiety and fatigue.
- 5-HTP Complex – A naturally produced amino acid, 5-HTP Complex supports the alleviation of stress, anxiety, headaches, sleeplessness and fatigue.
- Phosphatidylserine - A fatty substance produced in the body that covers and protects every cell, it supports the reduction of cortisol, the stress hormone.
For many who haven’t experienced depression before, the symptoms easily go unnoticed and they aren’t the same for everyone. It’s more than a sad day, a depressive episode can (10) last longer and it can become debilitating if it’s not treated it early on. Some people experience a dip in energy and concentration levels, along with changes in sleeping and eating patterns. Before self diagnosing though, speak to a medical professional.
Here are a few tips to keep depression at bay; (6) make sure you exercise for an hour a day, eat healthy fresh fruit and vegetables, get to sleep on time and try to keep a routine as best you can.
Sfera has some great products which will ease the symptoms of depression too. You will want to consider the following:
- EzyPS Spray – A Phosphatidylserine based spray, it supports the reduction of cortisol levels and symptoms of depression.
- GlycaemiCare – A blend of medicinal mushrooms, GlycaemiCare supports the balancing of low blood sugar, mood swings, fatigue, anxiety, irritability and depression.
- Magnesium Citrate – One of the most important minerals for your body, it supports digestion, the prevetionion of migraines and aids the fights against depression.
The Loneliness Killing You?
The cure to loneliness unfortunately does not come in the form of a pill but there are so many ways to deal with it that we might not have considered. Introverts may struggle less with this one, but they do offer good advice - learn to spend time by yourself. Reading, exercising and taking up a hobby do help a lot. The best remedy however, (6) is getting on the phone or your computer and having a good old Zoom or Skype session with your loved ones. Your friends and family are feeling the same and soon enough it will feel no different to having a braai at their house or at yours.
Support Your Immune System
All of these negative feelings of anxiety, loneliness and depression will have a (10) negative effect on the immune system and while eating healthy food and exercising help you fight off colds, (9) Covid-19 is not just a cold. The stats are rocketing and we need to protect our bodies from its potentially serious effects; especially if you fall into the high risk category.
Luckily Sfera has an incredible range of products to help, we recommend the following:
- Saberry Amla - Supports the body's resistance to stress, trauma, anxiety and fatigue.
- Vitamin D3 – The sunshine vitamin, vitamin D supports your immune system, strengthens your bones and keeps your heart and brain healthy.
- Vitamin C – An antioxidant, this failsafe supports your immune system and helps fight infection.
If things get really bad, please don’t neglect yourself. Your mental state and your health will not get better alone. Do not hesitate to seek professional help from a councillor or medical doctor. You do not have to weather the storm alone and help is just a phone call away. Many psychologists are offering Skype or Zoom consultations. Before you spend days on end in bed or have suicidal thoughts, speak to someone.
Now with your handy guide to surviving the lockdown, you can take the opportunity to concentrate on your health and wellbeing. Treat this as a time out and feel free to contact us for advice.