Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are fats that are naturally found in oil like coconut oil. They’re more easily and rapidly digested than other types of fats. MCTs are readily absorbed from the GI tract and are metabolised very quickly by the liver, where they are reported to encourage the use of fat for energy rather than for storage.
- Maintain a healthy weight — since they both make you feel full
- Specifically reduce stored body fat — since they also raise your metabolic function
- Have more energy
- Think more clearly
- Experience better digestion
- Balance hormone levels
- Improve your mood
- Fight bacterial infection and viruses
- Absorb fat-soluble nutrients from various foods
How it works
MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides.
Triglycerides = fat in your blood stream. They’re also called blood lipids.
The word “medium” literally describes its length; each molecule has a tail which is 6–12 carbon atoms long.
Almost all of the types we eat are long-chain triglycerides (LCT) and these are 13-21 carbons.
Maintain healthy weight
- As part of a healthy diet, MCT oil can help increase satiety and even raise the metabolic rate which the body functions.
- MCT can help prevent the development of metabolic syndrome, decrease cardiovascular disease and mortality risk in general due to helping lower odds of becoming obese.
- Positive effect due to anti-inflammatory properties, easy to digest and used for energy.
Mood, energy and Gut health
- MCT’s not only help to feed your brain cells, but also improves your gut health – which is largely connected to cognitive functioning thanks to the ‘gut-brain connection’.
Digestion and Nutrient absorption
- Both MCT oil and coconut oil are beneficial for balancing bacteria in the gut microbiota, which in turn has positive effects on digestive symptoms, energy expenditure, and the ability to absorb vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat.
Antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal
- MCT are natural antibiotics that help balance bacteria in the gut.
Taking too much MCT the first time, may initially cause gastric upset.